Herb Connection-to Help Match NC Growers With Buyers
For Commercial Growers and Buyers
The purpose of this page is to help North Carolina medicinal herb growers connect with buyers to start building long-term relationships. If you are a buyer looking for a particular herb, please let me know what you want and in what volume. Be sure to date how long your request is good for (or it will be indefinite) and include contact information. North Carolina growers, if you have herb available now or in the near future, explain what you have and in what volumes. If you want to remain anonymous, please indicate such and we will have initial communications go to us. I will read your submission (and contact you if I have any questions), and post it in the Wanted or Available section below. Both growers and buyers should email their information to Jeanine_Davis@ncsu.edu and put “Herb Connection” in the subject line.
Because this is a regional industry, occasionally growers from other states will also be listed.
Growers, please be sure to practice the Suggested Good Agricultural Practices for Medicinal Herbs. We offered training on that in April 2015 and the videos are posted on our YouTube channel. The extension publicationSuggested Good Agricultural and Collection Practices for North Carolina Medicinal Herbs covers this topic. We understand that sometimes you want to work in confidence or need personal assistance. We still offer that service on a limited basis. Please contact Margaret at Margaret_Bloomquist@ncsu.edu. She will be happy to assist you.
Disclaimer: We offer this page as a free service to help this industry grow. We know and interact with the growers and buyers listed here, but we do not certify, inspect, or vet the products listed for sale or the companies listed as buyers. We cannot vouch for the identify, cleanliness or safety of the products offered or the business practices of the buyers. Please do your own due diligence in “checking them out”.
AVAILABLE (For Sale by Growers):
Kudzu Coop (2/17/2019)
Fresh kudzu root grown in western NC (non-certified organic practices), $7/lb, minimum order 3 lbs. Available for local pickup or shipping. Available seasonally: harvesting begins on February 17th. Orders must be placed by February 18th, 2019. We dig kudzu annually, so if you missed this year and would like some, please contact us about our next harvest time. We hope to have shredded, dry root available in the near future.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/kudzucoop?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Maple Spring Gardens (10/1/18)
Cedar Grove, NC (Piedmont)
We offer several varieties of medicinal herbs both fresh and dried. Our herbs are naturally and consciously grown, hand cultivated and hand harvested. All herbs are processed with high quality control at the peak of their medicine.
Visit our website to see a full list of herbs grown.
December through February 15th, a pre-order form will be available for the 2019 season. Email Sunshine Dawson email@example.com to be added to seasonal availability newsletters and pre-order notices.
Available until FROST (mid-October or so):
- Lemongrass Stalk & Leaf – FRESH or DRY
- Stinging Nettles Herb – FRESH or DRY
- Baby Ginger Root – FRESH
Available November to mid December:
- Turmeric Root – FRESH
- Elecampane Root – FRESH
- Burdock Root – FRESH
- Marshmallow Root – FRESH
- Comfrey Root – FRESH
Pangaea Plants LLC (8/7/2018)
Certified Organic, Certified Biodynamic and GAP Certified (2015), Located near Asheville NC
- Anise hyssop, Agastache foeniculum
- Blue vervain, Verbena hastata
- California poppy
- Echinacea purpurea
- Holy basil (Tulsi Kapoor, herb and seed), Ocimum sanctum
- Lemon balm, Melissa officinalis
- Oat tops (dry and frozen)
- Passionflower official, Passiflora incarnata (Aerial parts in bloom and seed)
- Skullcap Of., Scutellaria lateriflora (Root and seed)
- Skullcap baikal
- Stinging nettle
- Stinging nettle with premature seed
- Toadflax (linaria vul.)
- Yarrow Of.
More Herbs Coming! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Friendly Allies (5/31/18)
Located in Marshall, NC (mountains)
Grown without chemicals, naturally grown and hand harvested.
Herbs Available through October or so:
- St. Johns Wort, Hypericum perforatum Flowering Tops $25.00 per lb
- Yarrow, Achillea millefolium Flowering Tops $20.00
Herbs Available from Nov~Dec 2018 Fresh:
- Comfrey True, Symphytum officinale 2yr Roots $13.00 per lb
- Echinacea purpurea 2yr Roots $16.00 per lb
- Marshmallow, Althaea officinalis 2yr Roots $13.00 per lb
Contact: OurFriendlyAllies@gmail.com or call 828~206~1421
Janice Johnson (2/12/2018)
- 800 pounds frozen, vacuum sealed dark Aronia berries
- 5 pounds elder flowers, frozen, vacuum sealed
I am located in Surry County, NC. You can reach me at 336-351-4301.
Green Heart Gardens (1/8/2018)
Certified Organic. Candler, NC
- Tulsi, Ocimum sanctum (Kapoor) 7lbs 15.5oz
- Blue Hyssop, Hyssopus officinalis 6.5oz
- Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum 4lbs 11.25oz
- Catnip, Nepeta cataria 1lb 2.5oz
- Comfrey Root, Symphytum uplandicum 2lbs 7oz
- Elecampane Root, Inula helenium 1lb 3.5oz
- Greater Celandine, Chelidonium majus 4oz
- Hops, Humulus lupulus 9.25oz
- Lemon Balm, Melissa officinalis 1lb .25oz
- Marshmallow root, Althaea officinalis 4.75oz
- Passionflower, Passiflora incarnata 3lbs .5oz
- Skullcap, Scutellaria lateriflora 14.5oz
- Valerian Root, Valeriana officinalis 2lbs 2.5oz
- Wormwood, Artemisia absinthium 8.5oz
- Yarrow, Achillea millefolium 1lb 14.75oz
Contact: Lorri Bura email@example.com
WANTED (Buyers looking for product):
The Country Muffin (1/29/2019)
Looking for 2-5 lbs of each of the following dried herbs, wildcrafted or Organic. Chemical free is more important than a certification. Must be grown within 50 miles of Waxhaw NC or Matthews NC. These are for (1) dried loose leaf teas and (2) to infuse for healing balms. Need by April 12th, 2019.
- Comfrey Leaf
- Plantain Leaf
- Echinacea Purpurea Leaf
- Peppermint Leaf
- Spearmint Leaf
- Calendula Flowers
- Red Clover Blossoms
- Ginger Root
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or text or call 704.576.7566.
Jeannie Dunn, RedMoonHerbs.com (9/14/2018)
Asheville, NC. Reply to: Jeannie@RedMoonHerbs.com
- False Unicorn root
- True Unicorn root
- Gentian – Flowering tops
- Echinacea purpurea root
- Echinacea angustifolia root
- Boar hog root – sustainably harvested or wild simulated grown
- St. John’s Wort – Bud 2/3 and 1/3 flower
- Fresh Skullcap – flowering scutellaria lateriflora
- Motherwort – flowering top Leonurus cardiac
- Astragalus – 2-3 year old root
DRIED (Cut and Sift)
- Calendula – blossom
- Ginseng – leaf
- Red Clover – blossom Trifolium pratense
- Stinging Nettle Urtica dioica
- Oat straw Avena Sativa
- Comfrey Symphytum officinale or uplanicaLinden flower – whole
From conscientious NC growers/wildcrafters (or those in a 150 mile radius) who practice organic farming and sustainable wild-harvesting. Please call to discuss quantity, quality and price!
Vance Etheridge (8/22/2018)
Looking for fresh stinging nettle leaves. Located in eastern NC. Please contact Vance at email@example.com.
Goldenseal planting stock Wanted (8/21/18)
For new populations and educational programming, etc.
Blue Mountain Trading & Gardens (8/6/2018)
In search of fresh or dried NC, Organically grown herbs.
Will need on a regular basis. Please respond with availability & pricing.
- Goldenseal Root
- White Cedar Tips
- Witch Hazel
- Gotu Kola
- Comfrey Leaf/Flower
Contact Clare Schwartz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Julio Acevedo (4/1/2018)
I am interested in purchasing fresh rue by the pound to distribute in the New York City/Tri-State area. All year round supply would be ideal. I would also like to purchase dried rue in bulk. Please contact me at 845-820-5606.
Josephine Porter Institute for Applied Biodynamics (2/21/2018)
We are looking for bulk (25-75 lbs) amounts of the following:
- Horsetail (shaved grass) Equisetum arvense)
- German Chamomile (flowers) Matricaria recutita L.
Please call or email Alee Epperly at 540-745-7030 or email@example.com
Botanic Synergy (1/30/18)
I am a clinical aromatherapist in Wilmington, NC. I steam distill my own essential oils and hydrosols. I am searching for bulk amounts (20-50 lbs) of aromatic herbs. Specific plants would be clary sage, rosemary, peppermint, marjoram, sweetgrass, lemongrass, lemon balm, etc. I prefer the plants to be grown eco cert or organic. I am able to travel to farms for the plant material.
Contact: Kelly Smith at Mercury_Rising@outlook.com
Business website is: www.botanicsynergy.com
Heilbron Herbs (1/15/18)
Heilbron Herbs is a botanical processor and brand outside of Asheville, NC. I am working with regional growers to source fresh herbs upon harvest – the plant material will be dried in my drying facility, processed/sized if needed, and distributed through my brand to manufacturers and online to individuals. I also plan to offer drying and cut/sift processing as a service to growers who have their own sales avenues.
If you would be interested in talking about growing one or more herbs for me next year, please be in touch and I would love to talk about collaborating.
Saralyn Bellmer 641.919.7455
Blue Ridge Aromatics (12/21/17)
I’m looking for fresh, not dried harvests and anywhere from 20 lbs to a couple hundred lbs at a time. Organic or biodynamic growing methods are a requirement but certification isn’t. Here is a list of herbs I am interested in:
- Rose (Flowers – Including multiflora)
- Kudzu (Flowers)
- Tulsi (Holy Basil)
- Other Basil Spp
- Melissa (Lemon Balm)
- Scented Geranium (Rose is most desirable)
- Monarda (Bee Balm) Spp
- Trifoliate (Hardy) Orange (Ripe peels/green peels/flowers/leaves)
- Clary Sage
- Other Sage Spp
- Roman Chamomile
- German Chamomile
- Daisy Fleabane (Flowers)
- Goldenrod (Flowers)
- Mountain Mint
- Spicebush (Lindera) (Twigs & Leaves)
- Sweetshrub (Calycanthus) (Twigs)
- Sassafras (Twigs)
- Sweet Birch (Twigs)
- Fraser Fir (Needles/Branches)
- Eastern Hemlock (Needles/Branches)
- Red/Blue/Black/Norway Spruce (Needles/Branches)
- Juniper (E. Red Cedar) (Needles/branches/berries/red sawdust or chips)
- Arborvitae/White Cedar (Needles/Branches)
Contact: Ian Montgomery by phone at 828-545-3963 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Business website is: http://blueridgearomatics.com
Established North Carolina Company (12/5/17)
Established North Carolina company is seeking experienced grower(s) interested in cultivation of Arnica montana, dry whole plant for 2018. Annual Quantity 1000#+ per year. Would give confirmed contract.
Also looking for:
- 110# dry Tobacco leaf
- 4# fresh spiny leaves Onopordum acanthium (Scotch Cotton Thistle)
Contact: Margaret_Bloomquist@ncsu.edu to discuss
Judit Beres, Neomega Nutritionals (8/29/2017)
I am looking for NC farmers to grow rosemary and basil for my product in large quantities.
Judit Beres, Founder
Neomega Nutritionals , LLC
Jessie Dean, Asheville Tea Company L.L.C., (8/14/17)
Asheville Tea Company (a new tea blending business focused on locally-sourced craft tea blends), searching for a number of dried herbs/ botanicals in quantities of 2-3 pounds each.
- Dried herbs needed:
- Chamomile flower
- Anise Hyssop
- Lavender flower
- Tulsi basil
- Elderflower & Elderberry
- Oatstraw & Milky Oats
- Pineapple Sage Flower (& possibly leaf)
- Lime Basil
- Echinacea flower and leaf
- Spicebush leaf and berry
- Red Raspberry Leaf
- Blackberry Leaf
- Stinging Nettle
- Mountain Mint
- Various Basils & Mints (sweet basil, blue spice basil, cinnamon basil, apple mint, chocolate mint, orange mint, etc.)
- Birch Bark
- Lemon Balm
- Dried berries- Blueberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Blackberry, Mulberry, etc
- Roselle/ Hibiscus
- Bergamot flower
- Bitter Orange
- Rose- Petals and Hips
- Dried Apples, other dried fruits
- Yaupon tea
- Camelia Sinensis (tea)
Domestic Reputable Buyer (July 2017)
Seeking Forest Grown verified black cohosh and ginseng leaves
Contact: Margaret_Bloomquist@ncsu.edu for more information.
Christina, Golden Needle (2/22/2017)
Reply to: email@example.com
Golden Needle is looking for locally grown Chinese and Western herbs in 1 lb quantities, dried. Wild-crafted or cultivated under organic growing methods.