El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.
10/26/2021 – Even the best built hop yard can “have issues” once it a while. This has now happened twice, so this post reminds all hop growers to be on alert. Tropical depression, Fred, brought one top wire down again in August 2021. A reminder to us that these eyebolts need to be checked every spring!
7/1/2015 – Yesterday morning, the North Carolina State University research hop yard looked beautiful. We had a group of young farmers from New Zealand coming for a visit and I was glad that the plants were at a perfect stage to teach them about hops. There were very obvious differences among the varieties, there were burrs and cones to show them, and the farmscaping plants were in full bloom.
But somehow I had totally missed seeing that half of the lower row of the hop yard was on the ground! Later in the day I got a call from my employee, Leo, asking me about it. “How could I have missed that?” I asked. We went out to assess the situation, fearing that the wire had broken. Fortunately, we discovered that a clamp had simply popped off and the wire just slid out through the eyebolt. There had been strong storms in the area over the weekend; I guess that lower row was the most exposed and Kelly had tightened up that wire on Friday, maybe a wee bit too much.
Our research station staff are so wonderful. They came right to help and in short order we had a plan and started the repairs.
Jeremy had the worse job. He was the one who climbed up the ladder to thread the wire back through the eyebolt and put not one but TWO clamps on. None of us are used to being on the ladders in our yard because we only have to do it when something needs repairs which is not very often. Otherwise, we use the winches to raise and lower the wire.
The hardest part was untangling the bines. Not sure how they got crossed, but we had to untie a few strings to get the bines back in order.
But it all worked out just fine. We got the wire up, got the bines spread out properly, and there is no apparent damage. So we weathered our first “collapse” just fine. But next time we have a calm day and a few spare hours, we are going to put a second clamp on all the other wires, too.